Saturday, August 20, 2016

When We Love the Least of These

(Aunt Karen- notice Cole's shirt)

Well, today we said goodbye to our host son, Han.  It was our 4th host child goodbye, and each one has been so different!! 

The day started with Han up at o-dark-thirty.  He had been checking days off the calendar, just waiting to go back to China, and I believe his countdown started the first day he was here!  Poor little Han missed China and what was familiar, but also felt like he should be home, taking care of his elderly foster parents.  That's a hefty burden for a 12 year old to feel.  (Han is the first homesick host child we've had, and that I KNOW OF.  It's not the norm!)

Thankfully, after about a week of sulking and frowning, he finally started to relax and just let himself enjoy being here...and being a KID!  (I think seeing his two friends from China enjoying their time helped, too.  13 year old Andy came right out and told him to "get a grip and enjoy!" (I'm paraphrasing, but that was the gist!)  Andy also told him to stop calling us "Mother" and "Father", but that didn't happen.  Ha! 

Although he certainly got happier as time went on, it was clear that he was still so ready to go back to China.  If we hadn't driven him, he probably would have walked to the airport himself!

That's why the emotions that spilled out of him really surprised us! 

wiping tears with his shirt

Saying goodbye to Cole...



Saying goodbye to Reid...

this was a nice hug, I was just a bit late with my camera!

 

Big hugs for "Father"...

Group shot of the 4 boys, and little 5 year old "Mia" in host mom's arms...

looking a bit unsure.  Isn't it sweet how they hold hands??
Han was very excited to ride on the airplane again, although he was saying the flight was "too long."  Indeed!

Now we are home, and I've stripped his bed and I'm catching up on laundry.  The first couple of days adjusting to our new/old normal are always a little strange.  It will be weird going to church without him tomorrow.

I'm so glad that Han is happy in China and seems to love his foster family.  Han is 12, though, and his window to find a forever family is getting smaller.  He DOES need a forever family, and I will continue to advocate for Han.  I certainly don't consider this hosting experience a "failure" because we put him on the plane without an adoptive family identified for him.  He had fun, learned a ton of English, took the trip of a lifetime, made new friends, and got to just be a kid.  He was loved and cared for by parents and siblings, and that's a pretty awesome thing!

A few months ago, after hearing that we were going to host again, my friend's 2nd grade daughter asked, "Are you addicted to hosting??"  I thought that was pretty funny.  I told her that "yes...I think that I am!" 

Hosting an orphan is not always easy, but honestly, it's not that difficult, either!!  Can you fundraise (or not) to pay the hosting fees?  Can you put a child up in your home for a few weeks?  Feed them?  Teach them how to give and receive a hug? (literally- they don't know how to do it.)  Give them some fun American experiences?  Post about them on Facebook?  Of course you can!!!  You totally can!

I know I'm a broken record with this statement, but I'm going for it again!
A FEW WEEKS OF YOUR FAMILY'S SACRIFICIAL LOVE COULD
CHANGE AN ORPHAN'S LIFE FOREVER.
 
 
 
It's worth it, right??  "My name is Tracy, and I'm an orphan hosting addict."
 
In all seriousness, I have a goal for next summer.  My goal is to host with NINE other families.  Ten total.  We can do it!  Is this something that is even slightly interesting to you?  Could you answer "yes" to my above questions?  Please consider joining us on another orphan hosting adventure!  If you're not able or ready, consider supporting a host family, either financially or emotionally.  Hosting is a team effort!
 
I'll leave you with this song.  It's one of my favorites, and these lines really hit home:
 
Break our hearts once again
Help us to remember when
We were only children hoping for a friend
Won't you look around
These are the lives that the world has forgotten
Waiting for doors of our hearts and our homes to open
  
 
 
 Click here for the entire song



No comments:

Post a Comment